Spicy Physalis Smoothie

I love physalis! I eat it whenever I can lay my hands on it, but I never attempted to make a smoothie out of it. Until today, that is.


Physalis (physalis peruviana), also known as Cape gooseberry, Golden berry or Inca berry,  is a member of the nightshade family. The orange berry is enclosed in a calyx (husk) that resembles a miniature Chinese lantern. The fruit is indigenous to South America, but it also grows in South Africa, Australia, China and India.

In folk medicine, physalis  has been used as a medicinal herb to treat cancer, leukemia, malaria, asthma, hepatitis, dermatitis and rheumatism.

Physalis berries are high in vitamin C, beta-carotene, iron, calcium and trace amounts of B vitamins including B12. They are also high in protein.


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups fresh physalis (golden berries), husked
  • 2 bananas
  • 2 Medjool dates, soaked in water overnight
  • 2 cups filtered water or coconut water
  • 1 Tbsp raw honey
  • 1/3 tsp chili flakes
  • 1/3 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/3 tsp ground cloves
  • pinch ground nutmeg - optional
  • 1 scoop raw protein powder (optional)
  • pinch Celtic sea salt
  • 3-4 ice cubes, optional

Method:
  • Place all the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. 
  • Pour the smoothie into nice chilled glasses. Garnish with fresh physalis berries and enjoy in good company!

As always, feel free to experiment with ingredients and their amounts. I must warn you, though. I tried to make this smoothie with oat milk. It blended perfectly and was very tasty, but faster than I could drink it, the creamy liquid in my blender turned bad. I looked like an light orange sour milk. I guess, the acid in fruit simply "cut" the milk. I had to make another batch. This time I decided to use filtered water. I added raw protein powder to make it thick and smooth. It worked.

In radiant health, passionately raw - Dominique